Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Camino Real Double Recap

Well, there's no easy way to say this, so I'll just come out with it. I didn't quite make it through my first double. It was cold, rainy, and windy off and on throughout the day, but after 12 hours and 145 miles, the last major downpour got the best of me. After the sun went down, my body just couldn't keep warm in it's soaking wet state and that was it for me.

I'm not too disappointed, because I know I made the right decision for myself. I have people at home who care about me and want me to be safe and I have my tennis students that needed me for lessons the next day. That helped me decide the line between cyclojunkie and cyclocrazy. Everyone has their own limits of risk, and I ran up against mine on the Camino Double. I can live with that. Especially with the knowledge that my legs were still ready for more punishment.

A massive amount of credit to all those that persevered, especially my buddy Casey, who also was attempting his first double and ended up being the youngest finisher. What an epic way to bag your first double. I'm already recovered and excited for the Solvang Double Century next month, where I expect to go the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment