Monday, March 21, 2011

Solvang Double Century Lead-up

Well, it's been a month and here I am again preparing to bag my first double. Since the Camino Double (where I road 145 miles before abandoning) I've ridden a grand total of 153 miles.

After having to focus on my tennis business for a few weeks following the Camino, Casey and I got out on the road and blasted our way from Carpinteria to Malibu (62 miles) at an average speed of 19mph. Things were looking good and we felt stronger for having ridden the Camino Double. The next day though, we pushed our way through 15-20mph winds to Ventura (45 miles) at an average speed of 14.5mph and then my body said enough. Within a few hours, whatever virus has been going around had overtaken me and I didn't leave the apartment for several days. For the last few days, now that I'm recovered, I've been somewhat thwarted by rain and wind, but I'm very happy to see the forecast no longer calls for rain this Saturday.

In fact, despite these inconveniences and breakdowns in my training schedule, I'm feeling good about this one. The whole point of ultra-endurance events is to push past what you know and what is comfortable. If anything, I'm more resolved than ever to bag my first double. I'm young and fit, have a beast of a riding partner in Casey, a solid ally at the rest stops in Johanna, and I know many of the roads we'll be riding on. We will prevail!

No comments:

Post a Comment